Calling all Degrassi fans, this book is for you! Stephen Stohn‘s book, Whatever It Takes gives you fun facts about the hit Canadian-American television show, while also giving you some info on Stohn himself.
You might not believe it, but Stohn didn’t actually start as a TV show creator/producer. His original profession was as an entertainment lawyer after he traveled cross-country in a band. But most of us know him as the “father of Degrassi” — his wife, Linda Schuyler, being the “mom.”
This book is perfect for:
- all fans of Degrassi, whether you started in the 80’s or are just logging onto Netflix and watching The Next Class.
- anyone interested in Canadian television and how it’s impacted America (especially the US).
- anyone wanting a career in the music or television industry.
- and of course, anyone who lives by the motto “Whatever It Takes!”
What you’ll learn from it:
- Linda created the original Degrassi (1979-1992). Then in 2001, Stephen revived it after realizing one of the character’s children would be a teenager, making her the perfect center for “the next generation.”
- While the early Degrassi covered plenty of hard-hitting topics (school stress, friend drama, etc.), what made TNG unique was that it was manufactured for our generation — “the digital age.”
- Stohn has personally and professionally evoked the motto “Whatever It Takes.” It’s never about being perfect or cookie cutter, it’s about real issues and how to deal with them.
- They took their time filming important episodes, even bringing in experts of certain subject matters when needed.
- You’ll read about some of the fun that took place — including memories involving rapper Drake, Nina Dobrev of The Vampire Diaries, and Shenae Grimes of 90210 (well-known actors that started on Degrassi).
This book reveals the ups and downs of the entertainment industry, plus how TV and music effect not only the audience, but the creators and actors as well. This is the perfect buy for any TV buff, music fan or “Degrassian!” You can purchase the book on Amazon or at Barnes & Noble.
Kari Highman is a Beauty and Fashion Blogger at Feeling the Vibe Magazine. Otterbein Alum (2017) – English & Psychology. Always learning & creating. Avid fan of mid 2000’s TV & pop music. Comments or tips, email [email protected]